I’ve been feeling somewhat in limbo. This is mainly to do with a lack of progressing in a practical sense with our permie plans. Work is totally crazy at the moment and I’m regularly working 5am-5pm, so not a lot of energy left for building up those practical skills we’re going to need. It’s easy to be the Lazy Witch. However, today I took another of those first steps and decided to figure out ways to produce some food in our temporary home this year, and create a bee-friendly environment.
I can see plenty of green material about for mulching, not to mention our own waste. I’ve noticed a neighbour with a horse and a llama, who may be able to provide us with good ol’ manure. The garden has several edges to exploit. I can’t do too much redesigning as the grounds do not belong to us, but I can enhance the potential that is there within the permissions granted by the landlord. As a result I’ve created some initial plans and found some heritage seeds to get started with. I’ve got a few varieties of edible flowers, herbs and leaves, and was careful in my purchase not to go overboard and risk a danger of cross-pollination (as I nearly did with a choice of 4 different varieties of basil!).
I’m hoping that one outcome of this endeavour, apart from a whole new set of recipes to experiment with and a happy landlord, is to create a humble seed bank. With luck, I may become involved in seed exchange in the future.
Will keep you updated with photos and recipes through the year.
Photographs: None are my own, but creative commons free to share. They are illustrative of some of the plants I’m planning to grow.